Why Laughter is Truly the Best Medicine
Jan 27th 2016
Do you just hate it when a cliché is really true? Maybe you shouldn’t!
You’ve heard it time and time again: laughter is the best medicine. But you might find yourself wondering if that’s really true. Let’s take a quick look at what laugher does for you, along with some exciting ways to get your family and yourself bubbling up in laughter more frequently!
1. It’s great for your physical health
We all love the deepest, heartiest laughs. You know — the kind where you laugh so hard you cry and your abs feel like they’re on fire. And, guess what? That kind of laughter is the best kind — it’s actually great for your physical health! Just as you always suspected, those burning abs are actually a sign that you’re getting quite a workout! And there are many more ways laughter improves your physical health. A hearty laugh can help:
- Improve digestion
- Regulate weight
- Reduce pain
- Strengthen muscles
- Improve the respiratory system
- Strengthen the immune system
- Improve blood[LMAO!] pressure
- Release endorphins
And these benefits are just the beginning! Between stress relief and improving overall wellness in adults, there’s no reason you wouldn’t want to laugh more.
2. Enhance your social life
You might not realize this, but laughter is actually a great ice breaker — and the reason you don’t notice is because laughter does a great job at it. Have you ever felt uncomfortable when meeting new people? I know I have! Whether there’s a lull in the conversation or your new acquaintance rubbed you the wrong way, laughter is a great way break the tension and create a bond between people — even strangers! Best of all, it can help alleviate social anxiety by making you feel more comfortable. So chuckle away!
3. Experience mental and emotional improvements
Got the giggles? That’s great news for you, because laughter can help relieve your stress, lower depression, and reduce anger. Best of all, having positive mental and emotional health can lead to a healthy body, too.
So what are some ways you can get more laughter into your day? Here are some of my favorite ideas:
- Watch a funny movie. You can’t go wrong with good, clean comedy.
- Pet playtime. They say kids say the darndest things. Well, pets do the darndest things, too!
- Get up and outside. Being active is a great way to exercise your funny bone because it releases endorphins—those horomones that make us feel good!
- Don’t take yourself too seriously. It’s life — and life is some serious business. But it’s OK to learn to laugh at yourself. Trust me, it won’t hurt a bit.
- Host a family game night. Dust off those old board games and set up the trampoline to enjoy spend hours of endless fun and laughter!
Now that you know the best reasons and ways to laugh, it’s time to make it happen. You can start by enjoying a bit of fun and exercise on your own trampoline today!