There is nothing quite like the thrill of jumping on a backyard trampoline! But it’s all-important to play it safe.
According to the American College of OrthopaedicSurgeons, it’s best to wait until a child is age 6 before allowing them to use a trampoline.
“We want children to enjoy exercise and physical activity…”said AAOS spokesperson and Los Angeles pediatric orthopaedic surgeon Jennifer M. Weiss, MD, “but parents and caregivers should know about the dangers of trampolines and the risk for serious injury, especially in very young children. Children younger than age 6 are less likely to have the coordination, body awareness, and swift reaction time necessary to keep their bodies, bones and brains safe on trampolines.”
Tips to maximize trampoline fun and safety
Keep kids safe while still having a great time on the backyard trampoline with these tips:
- Review the rules of trampoline play with your children. Make sure your child and their friends know what’s okay on the trampoline and what isn’t. (For example, you might not want them doing somersaults.) Keep an eye out to make sure your safety rules are being obeyed.
- Allow only one child at a time on the trampoline, or have children (and adults) engage in organized game activities such as basketball that are structured. This will minimize horseplay – and the risk of injury. Organize a great game of basketball, or any number of other family friendly games.
- Make sure you get the most from your trampoline by ensuring it has a smooth, lively bounce combined with safety features such as strong, lasting nets, and a state-of-the art bed and spring system.
- Remove trampoline ladders after use to prevent young children from being able to play unsupervised.
- Check the trampoline regularly to make sure everything is in top shape. If it’s not, don’t use it. Keep in mind, a well-made trampoline will provide many years of fun, so purchase one with superior quality and longevity in mind.
- Buy a trampoline from a manufacturer that has been in business a long time, is known as an innovative leader with a high quality reputation, has a knowledgeable sales and customer support staff, and stands by their trampolines with a strong warranty.
Trampolines are great fun for kids and adults alike! But always remember to play it safe. If you are looking for a trampoline engineered with fun and safety as top priorities, explore all the great features JumpSport trampolines and JumpSport fun and fitness products have to offer!